TOP 5 THINGS TO DO AFTER YOU’VE BEEN IN A DUI ACCIDENT
Being in a car accident is a difficult ordeal. Blood, fractures and injuries can add to the frightening experience. However, maintaining one’s focus and composure is important in order to document the events of the crash. Below is a list of 5 key things to do after an accident, if possible. When it comes to the legal end of things, just leave the driving to us. We’re here to help in your time of need.
1. Call law enforcement – After you make sure everyone is alright, especially yourself, inform law enforcement right away. You will need a copy of the police report which will manifest which driver is at indicate the fault of the driver.
2. Seek medical attention – Even if it’s a minor pain, seek medical attention. Your doctor should document the injuries as being related to the accident. And if the pain is serious, don’t put off going to the emergency room. Often injuries that result from car accidents take time to develop. Keep copies of x-rays and reports. Many insurance companies will try to contest that you had a preexisting condition.
3. Document EVERYTHING – Write down the following crucial details:
- Exact time, date and location of the accident
- Visibility, plus road and weather conditions
- License plate numbers and each car’s make, model, year
- Insurance information of all drivers involved, the injuries and damages
- Your account of the accident, including a diagram.
- All the names and phone and license numbers of the people involved. This includes passengers and drivers of all vehicles, as well as witnesses. DON’T let witnesses leave without politely asking for their contact information. Later, if there is a disagreement over the cause of the accident, you may need to call on them.
4. Contact your insurance company – Always let your insurer know that you have been in a car accident. Do it promptly, because many insurance companies will penalize you if you don’t.
5. Call a personal injury attorney – Regardless of the severity of the accident or injuries, you should call an experienced car accident lawyer. Advice is free. Our consultations never cost a dime and we work on a contingency basis. We can help you through the maze of medical, legal and personal struggles resulting from the accident . Call Attorney Chanco at (404) 842-0909.